Hypoglycemia is the medical term for low blood sugar. It typically occurs as a side effect of medications for diabetes. Low blood sugar can happen in people with diabetes who take medicines that increase insulin levels in the body.
Major Symptoms of Low Blood Sugar are:
- blurry vision
- rapid heartbeat
- sudden mood changes
- sudden nervousness
- unexplained fatigue
- pale skin
- difficulty sleeping
- skin tingling
- trouble thinking clearly or concentrating
- loss of consciousness
Major Causes of Low Blood Sugar are:
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Some critical illnesses – tumors, disturbed liver, disturbed adrenal gland functions and stress
- Insulin overproduction
- Hormone deficiencies
- Excessive consumption of refined foods
Natural Remedies to cure Low Blood Sugar:
- Liquorice root – Cut the root in pieces and add to boiling water and boil this for five minutes, the patient can drink this once a day.
- Apple – Two apples should be taken after meal everyday for better results.
- Wild yam – Yam should be boiled in water and left for an hour before drinking. The dried powdered root can be made into a paste, and this paste should be added to milk or a glass of warm water and consumed.
- Molasses – Take a little molasses and add to a glass of warm water, drink this at least twice daily to improve blood sugar level.
- Dandelion root – Powder the root and mix the powder in a glass of milk or warm water, take this mix daily for better results. An concoction made of this root can be taken twice daily.
- Parsley – Juice extracted from the leaves of parsley can be taken daily to rejuvenate liver and pancreas.
- Tomatoes – Drinking juice of tomatoes, twice daily, for two weeks, is very effective way to alleviating pancreatic disorders which cause low blood sugar. Fresh tomatoes also can be included in the diet for better results.
- Sunflower seeds – Sunflower seeds can be eaten in raw form or can be powdered and added to water, taking sunflower seeds daily, is a very effective natural cure for low blood sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds – Powder pumpkin seeds and mix in a glass of milk or warm water and drink for beneficial results.
- Gentian root – Take gentian root and dip in boiling water , to make a concoction and drink this twice daily.
- Barley – Barley is a first-rate food for patients if type 2 diabetes or people diagnosed with low blood sugar.
- The diet should be supplemented with meat (for magnesium), dairy products and substitutes (for proteins), bread and whole grain substitutes (for carbohydrates and dietary fiber) and vegetables or fresh fruit (for fiber and antioxidants).
- Take food rich in chromium such as brewer’s yeast, potatoes, peas, oysters, whole wheat bread, shredded wheat breakfast cereal, rye bread and wheat germ.
- Take food rich in magnesium include halibut, tuna, artichoke, banana, dry figs, barley, oat bran, prune juice, milk, yoghurt, almonds, brazil nut, cashew, beans, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, soybean, spinach, sweet potatoes and potatoes.
- Take food rich in Vitamin B3 include tuna, crimini mushrooms, halibut, salmon, asparagus, venison and chicken breast.
- Consume around 25-40 g of dietary fiber per day. Psyllium, Oat bran, apple pectin, whole meal cereals and ground flax seed are rich in fiber.
- Take food rich in Proteins like nuts, seeds, roasted soy beans and cheese. Canned fish like sardines, tuna, mackerel and salmon are great sources of protein and can be added to the diet.
How to prevent Low Blood Sugar:
- Understand your medications.
- If using a fast-acting insulin, pay attention to blood glucose levels one to two hours after injection.
- Avoid insulin mix-ups – If you use more than one type of insulin, store vials or pens in different locations (away from sunlight and at comfortable room temperature).
- Know the symptoms – Having a good working knowledge of hypoglycemia symptoms, including those you haven’t personally felt, will help you opt to treat rather than ignore the symptoms.
- Carry a glucose source at all times.
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat when you plan to eat – The top reason people ended up in the emergency room for a severe low in a recent study was taking insulin and then not eating.
- Pay attention to physical activity