High Blood Sugar is also known as Diabetes or Hyperglycemia. There are 2 types of diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body doesn’t produce any insulin, whereas, people with type 2 diabetes either don’t produce enough insulin or their cells resist the insulin, and they tend to be overweight, because the high insulin levels, unable to channel glucose into muscle cells, convert glucose into fat and cholesterol instead.
While type 1 diabetes is treated with insulin injections, which help glucose get into the body cells and maintain blood glucose control, type 2 diabetics commonly use glucose-lowering drugs. Most diabetics are type 2 and are usually in their 40s.
Normal Sugar Levels
- When Fasting: 4.0 to 6.0 mmol/L (72 to 108 mg/dL)
- 2 hours after eating: 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL)
Major Symptoms of High Blood Sugar are:
- Increased thirst
- Trouble concentrating
- Blurred vision
- Frequent peeing
- Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
- Weight loss
- Blood sugar more than 180 mg/dL
- Vaginal and skin infections
- Slow-healing cuts and sores
- Nerve damage causing painful cold or insensitive feet, loss of hair on the lower extremities, or erectile dysfunction
- Stomach and intestinal problems such as chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Damage to your eyes, blood vessels, or kidneys
Major Causes of High Blood Sugar are:
- Skip or forget your insulin or oral glucose-lowering medicine
- Eat too many grams of carbohydrates for the amount of insulin you took, or eat too many carbs in general
- Have an infection
- Mental stress
- Become inactive or exercise less than usual
- Take part in strenuous physical activity, especially when your blood sugar levels are high and insulin levels are low
Natural Remedies to cure High Blood Sugar:
- Bitter Gourd
- Drink some bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach each morning. First remove the seeds of two to three bitter gourds and use a juicer to extract the juice. Add some water and then drink it. Follow this treatment daily in the morning for at least two months.
- Also, you can include one dish made of bitter gourd daily in your diet.
- Mix one-half to one teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily.
- Another option is to boil two to four cinnamon sticks in one cup of water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution daily until you see improvement.
- You can also add cinnamon to warm beverages, smoothies and baked goods.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Drink the water along with the seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Follow this remedy without fail for a few months to bring down your glucose level.
- Another option is to eat two tablespoons of powdered fenugreek seeds daily with milk.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
- Take two to three Indian gooseberries, remove the seeds and grind it into a fine paste. Put the paste in a cloth and squeeze out the juice. Mix two tablespoon of the juice in one cup of water and drink it daily on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, mix one tablespoon of Indian gooseberry juice in a cup of bitter gourd juice and drink it daily for a few months.
- Black Plum or Indian Black Berry (Jambul)
- Try to include it in your diet as it can be very effective for the pancreas. Else you can make a powder of dried seeds of Jambul fruit and eat this powder with water twice a day.
- Mango Leaves
- Soak 10 to 15 tender mango leaves in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, filter the water and drink it on an empty stomach.
- You can also dry the leaves in the shade and grind them. Eat one-half teaspoon of powdered mango leaves two times daily.
- Curry Leaves
- Simply chew about 10 fresh curry leaves daily in the morning. For best results, continue this treatment for three to four months.
- Aloe Vera
- Mix together one-half teaspoon each of ground bay leaves and turmeric and one tablespoon of aloe vera gel. Consume it twice daily, before lunch and dinner.
- Eating guava can be really helpful in maintaining the blood sugar level. It is best for diabetics not to eat the skin of the fruit so peel it first. However, too much consumption of guava in a day is not recommended.
- Cut off the ends of a few okras and prick them in several places using a fork. Soak the okras in a glass of water overnight. In the morning, discard the okras and drink the water on an empty stomach. Do this daily for several weeks.
How to Prevent High Blood Sugar Level:
- Get plenty of fiber in your diet.
- Get daily exposure to sunlight for Vitamin-D, which is essential for insulin production.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. In fact, replace your regular sodas and sugary juices with water.
- Try deep breathing, meditation, listening to your favorite music, or working on your hobby to relieve stress as it may raise your blood sugar.
- Control Your Weight.
- Do exercise regularly.
- Be physically active.
- Choose whole grains and whole grain products over highly processed carbohydrates.
- Skip the sugary drinks, and choose water, coffee, or tea instead.
- Choose good fats instead of bad fats – Good fats, such as the polyunsaturated fats found in liquid vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid bad fats which are found in many margarines, packaged baked goods, fried foods in most fast-food restaurants, and any product that lists “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil” on the label.
- Limit red meat and avoid processed meat; choose nuts, whole grains, poultry, or fish instead.
- Avoid Smoking & Alcohol.